|See also “Petition: Classify Production and Reclaimed Frack Water Toxic”- http://www.change.org/petitions/classify-production-and-reclaimed-frack-water-toxic
Former gas industry ‘water handler’ now a whistleblower
Online petition, documentary meant to shine light on the industry
Saturday, March 10, 2012
GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado — A former water handler for the oil and gas industry in Garfield County says he quit his job over health concerns and now is working to make those concerns known to the public.
Aaron Milton, 36, has started an online petition to pressure the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to reclassify produced water from gas wells as toxic waste.
The petition, titled “Classify production and reclaimed frack water toxic,” can be found at www.change.org/petitions. ( http://www.change.org/petitions/classify-production-and-reclaimed-frack-water-toxic )
Milton also is involved in making a documentary film about the industry with filmmakers Hamilton Pevec of Carbondale and Austin Lottimer, formerly of Carbondale but now living in Denver.
The film, Milton said, will be titled, “The Water Handler.”
“It will be my story, and there’s a lot of other whistleblowers that are going to be in there, too,” Milton said.
Milton, who said he’d rather be called a concerned citizen than a whistleblower, told the Post Independent he recently worked for a Garfield County gas exploration company.
He declined to name the companies he worked for and with, and said he worked there for less than a year.
“I don’t want to do anything against the guys I worked with,” Milton explained.
His work involved handling flowback or produced water. It is a mixture of the water found deep underground in association with oil and gas reservoirs, and the surface water that is pumped underground for hydraulic fracturing operations.
Milton said he would often transfer produced water from one tank to another during the well drilling and completion processes.
He wore fire retardant clothing, a hard hat, steel-toed boots and a meter that would detect dangerous levels of potentially deadly hydrogen sulfide (H2S) gas, which often shows up in natural gas formations.
But he was not outfitted with a HazMat suit, he said, or a respirator.
“It didn’t take but two days to figure out what I was actually dealing with,” he recalled.
“That’s one of my biggest problems with the industry,” he continued. “People are not required to wear a respirator when you’re working on a gas pad,” he said.
He said he quit his high-paying job because he felt his health was threatened and that his employer was too lax in its safety regulations.
“Every day, I was worried about what I was breathing,” he said. Methane, which some gas field workers refer to as “paraffin,” and gaseous hydrogen sulfide were the two of the substances he was most worried about.
At the time, Milton was living in a rented house on Silt Mesa. Tests done by his landlord indicated the home’s water supply was contaminated with toluene, benzene, lead and other compounds associated with drilling.
“After finding out all that, I was eager to get out of there,” Milton said.
Milton questions the safety of a regular industry practice of using injection wells to dispose of produced water that cannot be used again for hydraulic fracturing, or fracking.
“The problem is, that is not classified as anything but water by the EPA,” Milton noted. “But that is not just water.”
David Ludlam, director of the Western Colorado Oil and Gas Association trade group, responded that the disposal of produced water is done in more than one way, depending on a variety of factors.
“If Mr. Milton has concerns about the protocol for handling produced water, our industry is anxious to hear more.” Ludlam wrote in an email to the Post Independent. “I’ll be giving Mr. Milton a call next week to see if he is interested in meeting with our member companies so we can learn from his experiences and collaborate on how to address his grievances.”
The father of three children, Milton currently is living in Glenwood Springs. He said he has started his own company, called Resource Energy Group.
The company has developed a system for monitoring emissions from industrial equipment, such as those found in landfills, he said.
Milton conceded he probably will not be doing any work for local oil and gas operators.
But, he said, he is hopeful that with the petition and the documentary, he can pave the way for others to work safely in the industry, even if he cannot.
NY Well Watch Forum
Sunscribe to the NY Well Watch Forum email list. This listserv is for sharing information about local news, announcing community meetings, and fostering open, respectful discussion about the Marcellus Shale gas drilling in our communities. To sign up, send a message to: email@example.com
- MarcellusGasInfo what living in a gas field is really like
- MarcellusGasInfo XTO Plans to Put Drill Cuttings in Hyland Landfill
- MarcellusGasInfo Landfill Expansion Mtg., Belfast, Fri., May 17, 7:00 pm
- MarcellusGasInfo Wetterling Well in Owego – plugging the leaks
- MarcellusGasInfo 05-04-13 PA: “What boom? Industry pundits claim thousands of jobs will be cre ated, but numbers dont quite add up”
- MarcellusGasInfo Appellate division upholds Towns right to ban fracking
- MarcellusGasInfo more on farmers in the frack zone
- MarcellusGasInfo protesters ask: who are the trespassers?
- MarcellusGasInfo another letter from Sandra
- MarcellusGasInfo Even in jail Sandra Steingraber is a prolific writer
- MarcellusGasInfo letters from the Chemung County Jail #2
- MarcellusGasInfo Sandra Steingraber’s Earth Day letters from jail #1
- MarcellusGasInfo Three forums on fracking and public health, Apr. 26-27, Bath, Elmira, Spencer
- MarcellusGasInfo Earth Day
- MarcellusGasInfo landowners lose up to 30% royalties to post-production costs
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- LI News: Addabbo Joins Senate Colleagues In Calling for Hydrofracking Moratorium: (Queens, NY) – N... http://t.co/7VXQbSzUBf #LongIsland May 24, 2013 Long_Island (Long Island Exchange)
- Hydrofracking Weekly is out! http://t.co/hp0VRiMTvP ▸ Top stories today via @TheFrackingTrap @Josh__Atkins @citizensenviro May 24, 2013 katonahgreen (Heather Flournoy)
- Cheaper prices from hydrofracking won't last: researchers http://t.co/pdzmUDorQy May 24, 2013 SuzanneWaldman (Suzy Waldman)
- We don't need another reason to protect precious water from #hydrofracking, but "SAVE BEER" is a *really* good one! http://t.co/NivjnIFQgl May 24, 2013 MatrixHayley (HayleyShearer)
- RT @NYAgainstFRACK: Well done! @NYSenDems & Leader @AndreaSCousins issue strong call for 2-year #fracking moratorium! http://t.co/2nnmUMwph… May 24, 2013 cmliveyourlife (New York Democrat)
- RT @DanielJODonnell: I'm sponsoring Assembly A7503 to protect NY & our health from toxic hydrofracking waste! Proud to lead the UWS against… May 24, 2013 goldfinchtweets (Shelly Nortz)
- “@rachbarnhart Cuomo will make decision on hydrofracking before next year's election (cont) http://t.co/WdadribcTR May 24, 2013 Goshinsenjitsu (Goshinsenjitsu)
- RT @klnynews: Cuomo will make decision on hydrofracking before next year's election | http://t.co/nGw4oReNeB http://t.co/Egba6ahkZ7 May 23, 2013 McLarnonMatthew (Matthew McLarnon )
- Pol science will be in by then ?!“@klnynews: Cuomo will make decision on hydrofracking before next year's election | http://t.co/TcK58Y8qF3” May 23, 2013 BillTeator (Bill Teator)
- RT @klnynews: Cuomo will make decision on hydrofracking before next year's election | http://t.co/nGw4oReNeB http://t.co/Egba6ahkZ7 May 23, 2013 CBS6Pat (Pat Bailey)
- @CabotOG Profits From Low-Cost #MarcellusShale http://t.co/RIzCleOL45 #IBDNews via @IBDinvestors $COG $WPZ $RRC $CHK $EQT $SWN $TLM May 24, 2013 douglasberkley (Douglas Berkley)
- #NatGas tired after landowner mtgs and townhall tonight. Lots of good things happening in #marcellusshale country! May 24, 2013 douglasberkley (Douglas Berkley)
- U.S. Sen. Wyden: FracFocus 'constructive' tool on drilling http://t.co/m9oqKSZAQD #fracking #MarcellusShale May 23, 2013 PSUEarth (Penn State EESI)
- #NowThatImLiberal I'll work 2 shut down drilling in the #MarcellusShale so NYC & DC can dump their garbage by the trainload in #Pennsylvania May 23, 2013 Fenway_Nation (Fenway Nation)
- "Blame of gas drilling for water problems often inaccurate" - Williamsport-Sun Gazette http://t.co/eDjTXLPTJS #fracking #marcellusshale May 23, 2013 douglasberkley (Douglas Berkley)
- "Number of women landing jobs in oil, #natgas industry growing" http://t.co/G4s0LZJ2h2 via @PittsburghPG #marcellusshale May 23, 2013 douglasberkley (Douglas Berkley)
- Halliburton expanding #natgas use by adding 100 #CNG trucks to fleet http://t.co/sf7ALRsqM3 #fracking #marcellusshale May 23, 2013 douglasberkley (Douglas Berkley)
- Hope so...Obama administration supports #fracking and #natgas exports: http://t.co/jVf0aS8Tfe via @wtcommunities #marcellusshale May 23, 2013 douglasberkley (Douglas Berkley)
- Anti-#Fracking Documentary 'Gasland Part II' Gets It Wrong...Again http://t.co/CTOi5RHYEQ via @BreitbartNews @FrackNation #marcellusshale May 23, 2013 douglasberkley (Douglas Berkley)
- More questions about #natgas drilling safety @CONSOL_Energy's Jeremy Jones says never been death in #Marcellusshale drilling @energizeWV May 22, 2013 AmandaHayesTRD (Amanda Hayes TRD)
- Director Paul Zimet watches rehearsal for Talking Band's Marcellus Shale / First Floor Theatre http://t.co/TDTHzICOyG May 24, 2013 LaMaMaETC (La MaMa E.T.C.)
- Director Paul Zimet watching rehearsals for Talking Band's Marcellus Shale / First Floor Theatre http://t.co/cGS0FnzeC5 May 24, 2013 LaMaMaETC (La MaMa E.T.C.)
- RT @LaMaMaETC: The Talking Band rehearsing Marcellus Shale / First Floor Theatre https://t.co/hvMoCiamNs May 24, 2013 natalierobinLD (Natalie Robin)
- The Talking Band rehearsing Marcellus Shale / First Floor Theatre https://t.co/hvMoCiamNs May 24, 2013 LaMaMaETC (La MaMa E.T.C.)
- The PA Gas Expo 2013 is set for June 26th in Indiana, PA -- #oil #gas #shale #marcellus -- http://t.co/SOIXw28uqG May 24, 2013 ongmarketplace (ONG Marketplace)
- Cabot Oil & Gas Profits From Low-Cost Marcellus Shale http://t.co/uF3Xzqrh0i May 24, 2013 JohnHQuigley (John Quigley)
- Next week, Utica & Marcellus NGL & Gas Markets 2013, Columbus, Ohio, Last places available: http://t.co/mPzUpftRMT #Shale #Midstream May 24, 2013 UnconventOilGas (Oil&GasInnovation)
- Huge growth here -->Cabot Oil & Gas Profits From Low-Cost Marcellus Shale http://t.co/CBz5zh7J5G via @IBDinvestors $COG May 24, 2013 KenShreve (Ken Shreve)
- Marcellus & Utica Shale Story Links: Fri, May 24, 2013 #rightofwaynews http://t.co/ln2xl0cwDV May 24, 2013 IRWA_Network (IRWA)
- via MarcellusDN: MDN: Cabot O&G Builds a Cash-Generating Machine in NE PA Marcellus http://t.co/UbvHpohXIm #shale http://t.co/UqWDkwyq47 May 24, 2013 EPCNews (EPCNews)
- Protest and educate on your sleeve, car, etc! The Marcellus Shale Awareness and Protest shop - zazzle.com/marcellusshale*-- 1 year ago
- RED ALERT!!! Cattle in Tioga County Quarantined after Coming in Contact w/ Natural Gas Drilling Wastewater http://bit.ly/ardxcX #marcellus-- 2 years ago
- DON'T FORGET! GASLAND on HBO tomorrow night (MON. JUNE 21) @ 9:00pm. Invite your friends over for a screening! #gasland #marcellus #natgas-- 2 years ago
- North Carolina may ban Tesla sales to prevent “Unfair Competition” - ow.ly/1WEudI And no doubt fossil fuel industry is behind this-- 2 hours ago
- RT @OtherMikeSteele: A Racecar Driver from North Carolina Explains Why We Need to Fight for Tesla huff.to/1acNzTL via @HuffPostGreen-- 2 hours ago
- RT @TimAeppel: Great headline on this story about collision between German beer and shale fracking: "Bier and Loathing." http://t.co/AqxLxt…-- 2 hours ago
- RT @keithellison: Keystone pipeline would emit the same amount CO2 pollution as 37 million cars. I oppose it. 1.usa.gov/12vnHQ7-- 23 hours ago
- RT @AlexatFWW: You already know I want you in Albany 6/17 to stop fracking, but @billmckibben does, too nyagainstfracking.org/bill-mckibben-…-- 2 days ago
- RT @Agent350: A $1 billion endowment that excluded fossil fuels would have made $119 million more in last 10 yrs: ow.ly/ligv4-- 2 days ago
- Penn-Oil and Gas: Look for long-term successes from the Utica shale - Crain's Cleveland Business ... bit.ly/16ZK9re News Penn-OG-- 8 hours ago
- Penn-Oil and Gas: Cabot Oil & Gas Profits From Low-Cost Marcellus Shale - Investor's Business Dai... bit.ly/16XfH10 News Penn-OG-- 19 hours ago
- Penn-Oil and Gas: Cabot Oil & Gas Profits From Low-Cost Marcellus In Pennsylvania COG - Investor'... bit.ly/16WJCpY News Penn-OG-- 21 hours ago
- RT @MarcellusGas: .@MikeBloomberg backs #hydraulicfracturing; "We have to get that #natgas out of the ground" safely - via @nydailynews: ...-- 1 year ago
- RT @eidmarcellus: Wait a minute! My water has Arsenic and Barium and we have no #NaturalGas wells? fb.me/1uP9zCzQk-- 1 year ago
- . @FrackNation seeks crowd funding for film project examining the claims made in @GaslandMovie. Check it out: kck.st/ydw12o-- 1 year ago
Search by date