|See also http://www.texassharon.com/2012/02/29/abcs-tv-foreign-correspondent-meet-the-frackers/
“Foreign Correspondent: Meet the Frackers 02-28-12″-
February 28, 2012 Season 21 Episode 4
“…There’s a new resident moving into America’s cities and suburbs, peeking over backyard fences and casting a shadow over shopping malls. Some folks are being right neighbourly and are welcoming the new arrival. But many more are fretting about how the stranger might dramatically impact their safe and peaceful suburban lives. It’s setting neighbour against neighbour and dividing communities. Honey, meet the Frackers…”
“…If conniving TV oil baron JR Ewing stepped out onto the porch of Southfork and surveyed a sprawl of fine suburban housing intermingled with oil and gas plants you’d be sure that characteristic big wide winners’ grin would break out across the Dallas bad guy’s dial. Surely this is a triumphant picture of industry at harmony with residential life. An American dreamland.
But this isn’t Southfork, Dallas it’s Southlake, Dallas and many residents aren’t so taken with the idea of drilling rigs pressing up against their backyard fences.
‘There is no amount of money that will convince me that we should have this in the middle of our neighbourhoods. I’m not going to put a price tag on the health and safety and well being of my family.’ DIANE HARRIS Southlake resident
Spreading beneath Southlake and a chain of communities fanning out from the big Texan centre is an oil and gas rich Eldorado called the Barnett Shale field and developers are stampeding for a piece of the action. It’s all part of an accelerated quest within the United States for energy independence, to loosen the reliance on the Middle East and shoot for home grown solutions to energy demand.
But to liberate the bounty below calls for a controversial process called Fracking.
Fracking involves injected huge quantities of water and chemicals into a subterranean setting shattering the shale and releasing gas and oil.
‘A lot of things that are generated during this process are known to be harmful to human beings. But it’s similar in my mind to how we found out about cigarette smoking and cancer. It wasn’t that we did a study and found out oh no look cigarettes cause cancer, it was 40, 50 years of ah… exposure.’ DR GORDON AALUND Emergency Doctor and Southlake Resident
In this revealing journey through America’s suburban heartland and onto where fracking is taking place on a panoramic scale in hitherto moribund states like North Dakota, North America Correspondent Michael Brissenden hears very conflicting views about the pros and cons of fracking.
There’s the young urban gas jock making a bundle on a rig outside Fort Worth.
‘Every day, probably to the end of this world, we’ll keep drillin’. There will be holes in the ground and we will be there.’ TAYLOR HINKLE, Rig worker
There’s the North Dakota county development chief watching the boom go kaboom! and dramatically transforming his state.
‘A boom beyond – I think it’s safe to say – anything that anybody has really seen in this country since probably the land rushes in the early 1900′s.’ GENE VEEDER Watford City, McKenzie County
And there’s the small Dakota landholder who says her pristine creek has been tainted by underground leaks generated by fracking such that it doesn’t freeze over, even in the depths of a bitter North Dakota winter. Jacki Schilke is also blaming fracking for her failing health.
‘They’re here to rape this land, make as much money as they can and get the hell out of here. They could give a crap less what they are doing here. They will come on your property look you straight in the eye and lie to you. And they will leave without a second thought and they don’t care’JACKI SCHILKE, North Dakota farmer
As the fracking question gathers momentum locally — are we glimpsing an Australian future?…”
NY Well Watch Forum
Sunscribe to the NY Well Watch Forum email list. This listserv is for sharing information about local news, announcing community meetings, and fostering open, respectful discussion about the Marcellus Shale gas drilling in our communities. To sign up, send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- I liked a @YouTube video http://t.co/BLi1E46Rn0 The Dangers of Hydrofracking - The Fracking Song - Big Oil & Gas vs Environmentalists May 18, 2013 helpfullsoccer (Breanna George)
- RT @worldresources: Reading - Spread of hydrofracking could strain water resources in west, study finds (@NYTimes) http://t.co/eKOy2egfZQ May 18, 2013 rtcouture (Rosie Couture)
- @StephVasteno you will be glad to know i signed a perdition and wrote letters to stop hydrofracking cuz some guy came to my door May 17, 2013 Drew_Molinet (saltador)
- Court decisions mean #NY #fracking battle likely to go local http://t.co/tPf3KmL5Xi @pokjournal #NYCourts #hydrofracking May 17, 2013 generalcode (General Code)
- RT @DamonMorey: New Fracking Rules Proposed for U.S. Land http://t.co/2go59SBtGB #Hydrofracking May 17, 2013 CooperNCarbone (Cooper N. Carbone)
- New Fracking Rules Proposed for U.S. Land http://t.co/2go59SBtGB #Hydrofracking May 17, 2013 DamonMorey (Damon Morey LLP)
- RT @GreenAmerica: NYT: Spread of Hydrofracking Could Strain Water Resources in West, Study Finds http://t.co/jWATDCrXOB #fracking May 17, 2013 Greeenguy111 (Sobriety rocks!)
- RT @Mruff221: If there are no problems with Hydrofracking, why are there so many problems with Hydrofracking?@NYGovCuomo #DontFrackNY http:… May 17, 2013 amedawg18 (Amy Meek)
- RT @katonahgreen: Hydrofracking Weekly is out! http://t.co/hp0VRiMTvP ▸ Top stories today via @PacoRamosM @garysteveneaton @mariodlopez May 17, 2013 garysteveneaton (Gary Eaton)
- Hydrofracking Weekly is out! http://t.co/hp0VRiMTvP ▸ Top stories today via @PacoRamosM @garysteveneaton @mariodlopez May 17, 2013 katonahgreen (Heather Flournoy)
- Slapping backs, shaking hands and kissing babies at the Tri-County Oil & Gas Expo #marcellusshale #oil http://t.co/07pNyiLR3R May 18, 2013 AlanLaick (Alan Laick)
- Simple #FF...all these folks! Top 50 people to follow in #oil & #natgas - http://t.co/Uv96f0sXOk #marcellusshale May 18, 2013 douglasberkley (Douglas Berkley)
- Called a #Natgas industry shill again today...if simply sharing my views & science makes me a "shill," I'll take that. #marcellusshale May 18, 2013 douglasberkley (Douglas Berkley)
- Great read..."#Fracking Can Be Done Safely, but Will It Be?: Scientific American http://t.co/29bOalU5T9 via @sciam #marcellusshale May 18, 2013 douglasberkley (Douglas Berkley)
- I'll take #28...Thx for including me! "The 50 Top Oil & #NatGas People on Twitter" http://t.co/Uv96f0sXOk #MarcellusShale #ItsanHonor May 18, 2013 douglasberkley (Douglas Berkley)
- RT @MarcellusGas: LISTEN IN: MSC's Steve Forde talks #MarcellusShale development with @900amWURD's Steve Sanders http://t.co/lTRDVjUxLd … #… May 17, 2013 Ag_Shale (Eric Cowden)
- via MarcellusGas: LISTEN IN: MSC's Steve Forde talks #MarcellusShale development with @900amWURD's Steve Sanders... http://t.co/281XUDdG1A May 17, 2013 EPCNews (EPCNews)
- LISTEN IN: MSC's Steve Forde talks #MarcellusShale development with @900amWURD's Steve Sanders http://t.co/lTRDVjUxLd … #NaturalGas May 17, 2013 MarcellusGas (Marcellus Shale)
- MT @saeverley: $1M in shale money coming to Phila. region http://t.co/IW8qEK2ien #MarcellusShale #natgas May 17, 2013 aga_naturalgas (AGA)
- Coverage of paper on need for data re #MarcellusShale #fracking by profs from #PennState and Pitt http://t.co/35AqRsWK68 May 17, 2013 PSUEarth (Penn State EESI)
- RT @Frack_Off: #Manchester you have been warned - IGas want to frack you http://t.co/AfGzOsGErN < #shalegas #fracking #RESIST May 19, 2013 marcellus_SWPA (marcellus protest)
- IHS: Marcellus shale producing more than 7 bcfd http://t.co/P2A8JBORlZ May 19, 2013 moininaam (Moin Inaam)
- RT @MarcellusGas: Northeast Pa. businesses receive #CNG grants totaling $750k of #Marcellus Shale impact fee money http://t.co/Oo7RYQTgUF May 19, 2013 lynnmurraylyon (Lynn Lyon)
- 4. 2012 Marcellus/Rhinestreet Shale Results - Monroe, Noble, Belmont, Jefferson & Washington… http://t.co/JMloljpoQj May 19, 2013 shalebiz (ShaleBiz.com)
- So I'm watching this movie "Promised Land" about all of the Devonian Marcellus Shale drilling and the movie is great I recommend it May 19, 2013 grayvtrain11 (Vince Gray)
- Marcellus Shale Daily is out! http://t.co/rYrXfWqvuq ▸ Top stories today via @inXmobiliareEsp @EnergyfromShale @northcentralpa May 19, 2013 MarkAndersonCRE (Mark Anderson)
- RT @OilandGasIQ: Marcellus #Shale Region-by-Region Regulations Update Pls RT - http://t.co/legHdhFhAd May 18, 2013 psdvi (PRC - PSDVI PARTNERS)
- Marcellus #Shale Region-by-Region Regulations Update Pls RT - http://t.co/legHdhFhAd May 18, 2013 OilandGasIQ (Oil & Gas News)
- Between that push polling and the "Friend of Marcellus Shale" bumper sticker I saw on a Hummer yesterday I'm all pissed off now. May 18, 2013 amaditalks (Amadi)
- @rickygervais I'd guess near me in Marcellus shale drilling country, until I decided that's just a reflection of the candle in the window. May 18, 2013 RoboSkel100K (George Baillie)
- Protest and educate on your sleeve, car, etc! The Marcellus Shale Awareness and Protest shop - zazzle.com/marcellusshale*-- 1 year ago
- RED ALERT!!! Cattle in Tioga County Quarantined after Coming in Contact w/ Natural Gas Drilling Wastewater http://bit.ly/ardxcX #marcellus-- 2 years ago
- DON'T FORGET! GASLAND on HBO tomorrow night (MON. JUNE 21) @ 9:00pm. Invite your friends over for a screening! #gasland #marcellus #natgas-- 2 years ago
- California Fracking Ban: Golden State Moratorium On Controversial Practice Moves Forward huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/17/cal… #FrackIsDead-- 12 hours ago
- RT @marcellus_SWPA: Get UP, get OUT, get IN THE WAY - let's go fracktivists: marcellusprotest.org/event_calendar-- 16 hours ago
- RT @CaplanComms: The following blog comes from a resident living on the front lines in #fracking gas fields of northeast Pennsylvania. http…-- 16 hours ago
- Penn-Oil and Gas: Pennsylvania landowners can get cash on spot for mineral rights - Pittsburgh Po... bit.ly/16y64FG News Penn-OG-- 6 hours ago
- Penn-Oil and Gas: Pa. Natural Gas Industry Fuels a Surge in Legal Work - Law.com - ... bit.ly/16j0E1d News Penn-OG-- 3 days ago
- Penn-Oil and Gas: Aquatech acquires fluid recovery services, creates leading water management ...... bit.ly/145Iagl News Penn-OG-- 3 days ago
- RT @MarcellusGas: .@MikeBloomberg backs #hydraulicfracturing; "We have to get that #natgas out of the ground" safely - via @nydailynews: ...-- 1 year ago
- RT @eidmarcellus: Wait a minute! My water has Arsenic and Barium and we have no #NaturalGas wells? fb.me/1uP9zCzQk-- 1 year ago
- . @FrackNation seeks crowd funding for film project examining the claims made in @GaslandMovie. Check it out: kck.st/ydw12o-- 1 year ago
Search by date